Making Word Count Is Like Doing Crunches
Making word count is like doing crunches; it’s hard work, but it gets easier. At least that’s what I tell myself. The girl in the photo looks far too chipper and bears no resemblance to myself. I don’t smile like that until I make work count.
I’ve set a goal of writing 5,000 words a week since that will put me close to finishing in late spring, 2014. I aim for 1,000 per day because I know life will interfere at least a couple of times during those seven days.
Today’s interference comes from Daughter Three with probable strep throat and a trip to the doctor. College Girl goes to the dentist’s office tomorrow and the oral surgeon the next day. Saturday, there’s a wedding that will suck up half of the day. And don’t forget Christmas. The tree has lights on it and a cut-out star picture of Nicolas Cage. (Thank you, College Girl.)
5,000 a week is ambitious, but since it’s the first draft, I can write without listening to my inner editor. At least that’s what I tell myself. Sounds good, huh? Tell that to my inner editor; she’s screeching the entire time. I’m trying to drown her out with Pandora music.
Subconscious Writer v. Conscious Writer
Anyway, the 1,000 words per day is hard for me. I know where the story is supposed to go, but getting the characters to do their part is more difficult. I told Daughter Three last night that it’s not the characters who are acting bad, it’s Subconscious Writer (SW) who keeps working on the story without telling Conscious Writer (CW) until it’s writing time.
SW interferes, whispers new lines to the characters, gives them unexpected attitudes, and otherwise messes with the script. Gah! Meanwhile, Conscious Writer–good girl that she is–is still trying to follow the original idea.
CW and SW can get along. At least that’s what I tell myself.
Sunday – Wednesday PROGRESS:
- Wednesday’s ROW80 check-in. DONE
- Comment on other’s blogs. DONE
- Draft Friday post for author blog by Wednesday. HALF DONE
- Publish Part III on Christ’s Reflections. ALMOST READY
- Draft a post for Christ’s Reflections blog for Monday. NOT DONE
- Social media:
- Facebook (reconnect with people from my past and my present) YES
- Twitter (3X/day) DONE
- Critique for a member of my critique group on Monday. OOPS
- Continue work on business plan. YES
- Complete 2,500 words on WIP by Wednesday. 2,100 as of Noon, I should make it!
Thursday – Saturday GOALS:
- Sunday’s ROW80 Check-in.
- Comment on other’s blogs.
- Complete the blog post for Friday and fire up another one for the following week.
- Social media
- Facebook (reconnect with people from my past and my present)
- Twitter (3X/day)
- Continue work on business plan for my new editing business.
- Complete 5,000 words on WIP by Saturday.
Does your Subconscious Writer interfere with your plans?